Drumsticks Can Reduce Blood Sugar Level
Drumsticks (Moringa Oleifera) can keep the glucose level in the blood in check. This fact is based on a research done in the Department of Nutritional Science, Faculty of Applied Bioscience, Tokyo University of Agriculture, Sakuragaoka, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan. This article tries to gain further insight about the research study and the vegetable.
Knowledge Gained from the Research about Drumsticks (Moringa Oleifera):
- Experimental diabetic rats were fed the powder of the leaves of this vegetable.
- The result obtained were drawn in the form of a graph.
- On x-axis ( horizontally ), the time was taken.
- On y-axis ( vertically ), the respective blood sugar levels at those times were noted.
- The upper curve represented the high glucose level in a diabetic rat.
- The lower curve represented how the glucose level reduced in the same rat when fed with drumsticks.
- It was found that drumsticks could reduce the blood sugar level at 20, 30, 45 and 60 mins.
- A component Quercetin-3-glucoside, in the leaves of drumsticks was found to be responsible for this effect.
Recipe of a delicious and beneficial Drumsticks (Moringa oleifera) Soup:
3 big pieces of drumsticks, one finely chopped tomato, 1 and half tablespoon of green gram, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, pepper powder and Asafoetida are required. In a pressure cooker, steam the drumsticks and take the pulp out. Keep the pulp aside. Take the green gram in the cooker. Add the finely chopped tomatoes. Put the powdered spices of cumin, pepper and Asafoetida in a pouch. Place this pouch in the cooker along with the green gram and tomatoes. Cook the mixture. Now remove the spice bag and blend the mixture along with the pulp in a mixer. Strain the mixture and add little water. Serve hot.